Msigner

Msigner

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gyudon (Beef Bowl)

First and foremost, Gyu is a japanese word which means beef. Don is.. I don't know.. Anyway, I love Gyudon!! My sister also love it too so I used it as a reward when she did some series of favors for me. I so love Gyudon that I even eat it twice a day and everyday. It was then P65 but now.. it turned P110 with very few beef strips unlike before and even the bed of rice is dry sometimes. So I decided to make my own.

Ingridients:
  • 1/2 kilo steamed rice
  • 1/2 kilo breakfast steak cut into strips
  • 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 1 dashi powder mix derived from Bonito fish (I bought one in SM supermarket)
  • 5 Tbsp Kikkoman soy sauce
  • 3 Tbsp mirin
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 pc of calamansi
  • 3 dashes of 7 spices (some call it chili powder)
Preparation:
  1. Put the water in a pan and let it boil a bit. Then add the dashi powder. (Follow the instruction in the box.)
  2. Add soy sauce, calamansi juice, sugar, and mirin and bring to a boil on medium heat.
  3. Add onion slices and simmer for a few minutes or until softened. 
  4. Add beef in the pan and simmer for a few minutes. 
  5. Serve hot steamed rice into individual deep rice bowls. 
  6. Put simmered beef on top of the rice. Top with dashes of 7 spices.
My version of Gyudon is a bit sweeter than what they serve at Yoshinoya's.

No comments:

Post a Comment